Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Just feel like chatting

This is me at three years old, on a picnic table in Clearwater Florida.
***
It is not always by plugging away at a difficulty and sticking to it that one overcomes it; often it is by working on the one next to it. Some things and some people have to be approached obliquely, at an angle.
Andre Gide (1869 - 1951)

***


Hi there, how ya doing?

Me...well, I am a little scattered. Inside my head I have many levels of work going on. Most of the time it feels fine to be doing that, thinking on multiple levels at once. Today is not one of those days. I don't have racing thoughts or anything, just a gentle pressure at the base of my skull...I'm thinking to myself, what the hell is that?

"It's not a tumor."

***

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and to have one hell of a good time. Sometimes, this makes planning the day difficult.
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

***

I need to write something. I have come to learn, this blog...it can sometimes be a lifeline. Just knocking on the door and saying Hey! I'm out here...can you hear me now?

The artwork seems to be slowing down. I really do work myself into apathetic corners and sleepless nights. It's not manic, I just seem to have more than my head can hold, and it makes it hard to not get it down, up and out.

***

It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen.
George Orwell (1903 - 1950)
Source: 1984, 1948, opening line

***

To be honest this whole really cold weather thing...it's getting me down. I've never lived this cold in winter, not as an adult anyway, I'm more of a Pacific or Atlantic breezeway kinda gal. I saw the Ohio river the other day for the first time, I can't tell you how wonderful it was just to see a large body of water again! I may be a little homesick for the coast right now. (just this much). OK, so this is my second winter season here in the bluegrass and my bones don't like it. I hurt from tip top to the bottom. How can a persons scalp ache, I don't know but I have it, a terrible scalp ache. Every bone sings it's own song when you have arthritis, and I am creaking and popping over here like an old wood stove, except I can't seem to get warm.

Ever.

I am right now wearing two pairs of pants, three shirts, a sweatshirt, and thick wool socks...oh and my thermal jesters cap, and a scarf and shoes too. Is this sounding crazy enough yet?

Just checking.

I don't like the cold, nope not at all.

***

A pat on the back is only a few vertebrae removed from a kick in the pants, but is miles ahead in results.
Ella Wilcox (1850 - 1919)

***

I keep thinking I'm going to adjust to the new environment,

but no such luck so far.

I have started (with Mate Mans Help) to write a farking g*d damned cold song. I think it could be a hit maker in the works. Oh, no there goes the potty mouth.

Were in for it now.

***

The community stagnates without the impulse of the individual. The impulse dies away without the sympathy of the community.
William James (1842 - 1910)

***

I better get back to the easel. I really want to finish this new large work, if I can just talk my body into a think warm thoughts mindset, it'll be all good.

Take care and send warm thoughts my way!

Heather

7 comments:

Paulette Insall ~ Reflecting Colors of the Soul said...

Hi Heather! I've been meaning to come over and visit you ever since you visited my blog a while back and left me such lovely comments. Thank you so much for adding me to your blogroll! I'm so very flattered!

I too feel like I always have too much in my head and need to get it out. Most of the time everythings running so fast that I can't catch all my thoughts...which can be a little unnerving at times, but it's something I'm learning to live with. I guess it's the price we pay for being so highly creative, huh? ;)

Love your work and plan on visiting you here more often. Stay warm! :D Oh and by the way, I posted a new video today if you wanna go peek. ;)

Robin Lassiter Art said...

Hi Heather... I've been feeling the chill as well. 24 below here the other morning. Yick. I just heard a report on NPR that called this time of year JanuFeb. The dreaded JanuFeb. Rest assured (or so I keep telling myself), Spring is right around the corner. Take a warm bath, put on some wool socks, drink some cocoa, and I'm sending warm thoughts your way!

jafabrit said...

Oh your post is so rich with thoughts and feelings I can understand. Sending warm thoughts your way.

jafabrit said...

ps. just had to comment on your "Fairy Tree from the Fairy World Series #6", it is really a lovely piece.

Heather said...

Paulette: Thank you so much for comming by, I am a big fan of your work...and I watched that video x 2! That was pretty exciting news at the end of the video too...I don't want to spill the beans here...go watch it. I am super glad you came by and look forward to learning more from and about you in the future. Welcome!!!
Robin: OMG. BRRRRRRR! Is all I gots to say on cold weather...please spring...hurry! :)
Jafa:
You so rock my world...love to you my friend!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Heather!

Oh boy, do I know what you mean about the weather. I've been coming to the Southwest each winter for the past 4 years and then finally decided to move down here permanently about one and a half years ago. Las Cruces is much better than Minnesota, but even here winter is getting to me. My fingers and toes ache and I long for something warm and green (and I don't mean a cup of green tea!). Next winter I'm going to try spending JanuFeb on the coast of Mexico. I found out that I can rent a bungalow near the ocean for only $350/month! Can you believe it! If that doesn't work, then I'll have to try the southern hemisphere where they'll actually be in summer!

Heather said...

Amen from the back bratha! Chris, I am thinking maybe living in Mexico sounds great!