Thursday, January 10, 2008

Art of the day-Mississippi Grrrl-Now at Auction





Mississippi Grrl
Oil Pastels on Canvas board
& Mixed Media (August 2006)
16" X 20"
40 cm X 50 cm
***
Now at art auction.
***
Here's the quote that was my inspiration:
I am part of the sun as my eye is part of me.
That I am part of the earth my feet know perfectly,
and my blood
is part of the sea.
My soul knows that I am part of the human race,
my soul is an organic part of the great human race,
as my spirit is part of my nation.
In my own very self, I am part of my family.
~D.H. Lawrence
Source: Apocalypse, 1931
*****
(This was written when the work was completed, I left it alone because it speaks to the reasons and feelings I was going through at the time. This is the only work I ever completed while living in Mississippi for 4 months, I thought I was going mad)
***
Mississippi Grrl is all about my quest for peace.
Peace in my heart, peace with my surroundings,
peace with my circumstances.
Loving myself isn't always easy to do.
I fail, I get stuck, I don't always make the right choices with people, places or situations.
The peace I seek is within myself, this world I live in and the places I dwell in. This is a break through work for me, as I have been
in a artistic rut for a few months, sick of myself, my situation, my choices in people to trust.
I choose to move past those realities,
I choose to make my own path, and capture the moments of living,
like the reflections of birds on the wing, in a sunset sky.
All places and people have meaning,
sometimes you have to be stuck to see them more clearly.
I am leaving Mississippi soon, but this is my painting
to document what I learned in my brief time here,
that I am free no matter where I lay my head.
I hope you enjoyed the work, and thank you for being here.
***
This work is now at auction.
There is also a quick link in the sidebar to all art auctions.
Good Luck!
Heather
PS. Three of the (7) new art auctions now have bids! Woot!
Art auctions for the week are two posts down, just scroll down baby and bid!

3 comments:

San said...

Heather, congratulations on following the flight of those birds to your amazing present.

And congratulations on the auction bids!!!

Angie in AZ said...

I followed a trail to your blog through other artists blogs and when I saw the word "Mississippi", I perked up! Before moving to Phoenix, that was home. All my family is from there for generations and most are still there. Just curious what part of MS you are in?

Heather said...

Hello Angie, thanks for stopping by. I was in Mississippi for about 5 months in 06. Starkville it was.
It was not the best time for me...and I didn't really get to get into Mississippi at all. Now we are in KY and at a much happier time in our lives, this work was to remember what we went through to get here...and MS was one of those things. I hope you'll come back round again!


San...you so freaking rock my world..really, really.