Monday, January 14, 2008

Art of the day- new work- When Daises Attack

picture taken outside no flash

Outside no flash


outside no flash




inside with flash

***

When Daises Attack

From the Choir Series #5

oils

back stapled, finished sides, ready to hang.

$120.00

Free Shipping inside the USA.
Email me
HERE for purchase.
Outside the US and International buyers please email me
HERE for a free shipping quote.

***

Here is the quote that was an inspiration to the work:

"There's a new and virulent cultural virus ripping through the world. . . .

The symptoms of those infected include

attacks of optimism,

strong feelings of community,

lower stress levels

and outbreaks of pronoia -

the sneaking feeling that someone

is conspiring behind their backs to help them."
Jules Marshall

***

When Daisies Attack,
is a fun romp through a field of ambushing African daisies. They defy reality, they ask you to suspend rational thought, and demand to be admired...if you want safe passage through their land.

Each flower has a blue green eye that has seeped into each pale petal in varying degrees, and because the bottom side of each creamy petal is a dark purple, there are hints of lavender too, as they swirl and dance around their captive audience.

The earthy rich background suggests that a sunset walk through quiet fields was going to be just the thing... and then...

the Daises attacked.


Hope your day is bright.

thanks for being here,

Heather

Post Script:
I have been asked by several people recently, "why do they not have faces?"
I would like to explain just a little...here it goes.
***
The magic of a face.
Thomas Carew (1595 - 1639)
Source: Epitaph on the Lady S
***
Painting is a form of communication for me.
I can and have painted many a fine face.
In fact this work had a wonderful face drawn in, but it was just not right.
These works without faces are about the face-less inner self. The one you can not see in the mirror, but that none the less lives inside each of us. I am talking about the soul.
***
Spirituality is the consciousness of victory over self and of communion with the Infinite. Spirituality impels one to conquer difficulties and acquire more and more strength. To feel one's faculties expanding the soul is one of life's most sublime experiences.
David McKay (1873 - 1970)
***
These works are what I see in my head, my face-less self. That's why they are without eyes, nose, mouth and sometimes even hands and feet. They are representative of what I am learning, and the expression of something that at once extremely private, also compels me to make it public.
Make it graphic.
Make it large and undeniable.
Make it Universal and fits all in size.
Make it possibley for some un-comfortable.
They have no face because they are mirrors, for what we see and make of our reactions to them.
You need not see my eyes at this moment to have already formed an inner idea about what you think of me or my work.
Neither does my work need eyes for you to feel what it is saying to your inner faceless self.
For me art is communication, from the soul, my message in a bottle to the inner divine then outward to the world at large.
***
So long as you live and in whatever circumstances the kaleidoscope of life may place you, think for yourself and act in accordance with the conclusions of that thinking; avoid so far as possible drifting with the current of the mob or being too easily influenced by the outward manifestation of things. Take your own look beneath the surface and don't trust others to look for you. If you will follow this rule consistently, I am sure you will keep out of much trouble, will make the most out of your life and, what is more, will contribute most of value to the community life.
Dr. Frank B. Jewett
***
As far as the choir robes goes...
I am a heretic. *tounge in cheek*
Simple really.
***
In regard to religion, mutual toleration in the different professions thereof is what all good and candid minds in all ages have ever practiced, and both by precept and example inculcated on mankind . . . The only sects which he (Locke) thinks ought to be and which by all wise laws are excluded from such toleration are those who teach doctrines subversive of the civil government under which they live. The Roman Catholics or Papists are excluded by reason of such doctrines as these: that princes excommunicated may be deposed, and those they call heretics may be destroyed without mercy; besides their recognizing the pope in so absolute a manner, in subversion of government, by introducing as far as possible into the states under whose protection they enjoy life, liberty, and property that solecism in politics, imperium in imperio, leading directly to the worst anarchy and confusion, civil discord, war and bloodshed.
Samuel Adams (1722 - 1803)
Source: The Rights of the Colonists, 1772
***
The robes represent the most in love I have ever been with religion. I went to church as a child; and as an adult went to many churches, temples, books and people looking for the answer.
I never came any closer to any religious answer than the rapture I witnessed from every choir I have ever attend. Be it chanting Monks, or Southern Baptist swaying, or the Gay men's chorus... I love all of that...the joyful release and holy communion with what makes us all one and all alone, individual. Soul, spirit, God, the Universe...whatever you call it.
The architecture of humanity.
So, that's why the robes.
They symbolize purity, innocence, fear-less-ness and faith to me.
And I guess a little of my inner, "I make my own rules" heretical way of seeing the world. Like swinging upside down on a tree swing, it's the same world as sitting on the swing swinging up but it sure looks and feels different from that angle.
That's all.
***
I've said it before...
Welcome to my world.
Have a good one,
Heather

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

hehehehe, I had to google "pronoia" and follow your links...I just might have a case myself.

I love that your paintings have a story!

jafabrit said...

I love the daisies, they make me smile. I googled "proniia" too, lol! learned something new this monday morning. Cool!

Heather said...

Thanks both of you! I would rather live in a state of something good could happen than the reverse of that.

*grins*

andrea said...

Faces are overrated anyway! Loved seeing the different results. Mine always look the same as each other -- though some are more tilted than others...