Monday, February 20, 2006

BAD! Kitty Art Studio ~ Portland Oregon ~ Artist Blog ~Quote for the day


BAD! Kitty Art Studio
Quote of the Day!
***
In life, the first thing you
must do
is decide
what you
really want.
Weigh the costs and the results.
Are the results worthy of the costs?
Then make up your mind completely
and go after your goal with
all your might.
Alfred Montapert
***
Choices.
That is what I have been doing, and thinking about
for the last 8 days.
I am having to accept things as they are, and not as I want them to be.
I am letting go
of what it means to be doing it all
on my own. I have to go back to having a regular "Day Job"
all though I'd rather not... I really, really would rather not
contribute to a large corporation anymore....Facts are
I have to. Bills have to be paid, art is "Ifcome" not Income, and
my Intuitive Life Coaching business, is going to take time and
more money (advertising, word of mouth) to make it profitable enough to make up for my normal weekly paycheck.
I was so hoping that my business would take off, and I would
be able to just do the kind of work everyday that makes me feel
wonderful about myself and the world I live in.
Facts are....It is not working out that way, and I have to deal with the
facts as they are, not as I want them to be.
I will not give up working hard to create a client base with both my artwork and my Intuitive Life Coaching...Never say Die...
I was talking "business" with my manager this weekend...Not really all that much fun, to tell the truth...And well, we talked about
my plans for the Art Career this next year. Shows, Galleries, cafe's....Competing...What? Well...I still have the unreasonable
(or so my manager thinks) desire to do this thing my way.
I want to sell my work for what I want to sell it for, not what some gallery, art agent...So on what's to "do" with it.
I still want to BUCK the system.
I don't want my work to be seen in a way that makes
people feel as though they couldn't have it, or worse "that's pretty, but I am here to buy coffee, food, get my haircut, fill in the blank, not to buy art."
I don't want to do the Ebay route either...Feels cheap and tasteless, plus the well documented OCD I have about
being told what my work and time and soul
are worth...By the lowest bidder.
I set my prices so low...And I haggle, barter, and put things on Lay-a-way. Would I be able to do any of those things if I was in a contract exclusively for an agent, or gallery? Nope.
Would I make more sales? Maybe...If you prescribe to the old capitalistic mold of "if it's really high priced then it must be worth it, and I am buying prestige not soul altering art".
I don't prescribe to that ideology at all.
I am truly a stubborn
OUTSIDER artist
because I refuse to play the ART Game.
I do what I do...Like it? Well then buy something... that would be better than telling me how great it is, not that I don't want praise (praise me, praise me!)...But you know what I mean.
I am a System Bucker.
I'll sell my art like the folks down south do...On the side of the road,
or online, or in my studio....Without giving up my principles.
Think I'll never make it "big" like that?
Well my well paid Manager thinks I am crazy, that I am ready to take my work to the next level, that I need to do that show in New York and LA....That I need to become more serious about my pricing and what I am doing to my "value" in the Market as an artist....blah, blah blah...
you can guess what I said to that.
Screw that!
I can and will do it my way.
I'll prove that I can love what I do, do it with intent, and without snotty behavior, and still be successful.
Watch me.
So today, I will post a picture of the work I recently finished...A new "Quiet Place Series"...I needed one this last week, ( a quite safe place) so I painted one for myself, I'll show it later. I am also working on a really fun self portrait....
that is oils and mixed media, I'll show the work in progress, just for fun.
Love to all,
be you today, as you are,
and look to the west if you need a slap of
GRRRRRR.
That'll be me shaking the life out of the old way....
And bringing in the new way.
Commerce with conscience....Being the Change I want to see in the world through stubbornness....Well it's working for today...
it can work, everyday!
Yours in the Moment,
Heather/Sybil Ann
Just do it!
Support American Families Making Money In America!
Help to make the of Outsourcing American Jobs a HATE CRIME.

No comments: