Thursday, June 05, 2008

Daily Art- New Work- BAD! kitty longboard #1- OOAK Skate board

One of a kind long board skateboard by Heather Brown Truman

Please click on images to enlarge them

‘Bad! Kitty long board #1′

46″ long by 9″ wide

7 ply birch wood long board

Pre-drilled for both older truck styles and the newer ones too.

This is for the board only, you have to supply your own trucks and wheels.

Hand cut Grip Tape, and hand painted back side with triple poly top coat.

***

To see more/Or to buy this one of a kind skate board Click HERE

Here is the quote for this work:

“When fun is outlawed, only outlaws will have fun.”

***
OK so if you don’t ride skate boards you may not know what this is or why it’s so special. This is a Long Board, it’s twice/three times the length of a normal skateboard and it will go twice as fast too. This is a professionally made 7 ply birch board which gives it great strength as well as firm flexibility. Let me just tell you I have one that I made for a friend way back…and she loves to hill bomb on hers…but she’s crazy, she says it’s the fastest board she’s ever had. I started buying blanks and painting them a few years back when my oldest son became interested in skateboarding and his chick friends were complaining that there were no cool boards for skater chicks. So, I made a few and they gobbled them up locally.
Then later I found this lot of long boards from a guy that made them for the X-game pros and was getting out of long boards to go into making surf boards and snow boards. I bought a bunch of them just thinking they were cool. My kid was shocked because I guess they are hard to find made with the high quality that I had found. Proof that I am way more cool than he gave me credit for. *Grins*
I have had them for awhile, and not really paid much attention to them after we left the west coast. I have this one and one other blank that I will consider doing as a commission (if you are interested in a custom job let me know the other blank is exactly like this one except it’s not painted or grip taped, yet).
I think this board is Uni-sex…of course that would be up to the buyer…but I know some guys that think it’s funny as hell to ride my boards with BAD! Kitty on them. I admit there are more skater chicks that buy my boards then guys.
The painting on the underside has been protected with lots of poly, but the images on the bottoms of boards take the most abuse and anyone who rides knows that the cool ass graphics on the bottom of your board will only stay “pretty” for a while, then it will be ground off. So…being that I am so smart, I painted this board three times. As the paint and poly are ground off, new parts of the under painting will be revealed. By the time you wear out this board you will have gone through three paintings, which are all inter-related so the artwork will look more cool as it ages.
The hand cut custom grip tape on the top is from tip to bottom and covers all the way to the edge of the board, you won’t find that attention to detail in your local skate shop. (Cutting grip tape, soooo not easy to do with a custom inlay like this one, BTW)
I really enjoy painting boards, it’s functional art that creates fun (and bruises too sometimes) and that is one of a kind. No one will ever have this board but you. Pretty cool huh?
If you have a skater in your home or if you are still on the street yourself, this is a smooth riding, extra strong (will hold a person up to 300 pounds), and fast as hell board. (Look Ma No Gas!)
With the right trucks and wheels you could ride all day and not work too much. That’s why I like the long boards myself, they go like a bat out of hell, but you don’t have to push off so much and all it takes is a little lean and it turns and maneuvers extremely well. Now I don’t do tricks or anything, I’m a simple rider, but like I said this board is excellent for hill bombing, street riding, and makes you look like a bad ass when you can drop in on a 46″ long board. :)
I hope you are all having a great day, and thanks for reading.
Heather

No comments: