Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Quote for the day




BAD! Kitty Art Studio

Quote for the day
(above) Laminated Collage by: hmbt 2006
"Imagination"
***

Maybe we should develop a Crayola bomb as our next secret weapon. A happiness weapon. A Beauty Bomb. And every time a crisis developed, we would launch one. It would explode high in the air - explode softly - and send thousands, millions, of little parachutes into the air. Floating down to earth - boxes of Crayolas. And we wouldn't go cheap, either - not little boxes of eight. Boxes of sixty-four, with the sharpener built right in. With silver and gold and copper, magenta and peach and lime, amber and umber and all the rest. And people would smile and get a little funny look on their faces and cover the world with imagination.

~ Robert Fulghum
***
Yesterday I was overwhelmed by the first day on the job, with learning the new computer system, the phone bridge for taking clients, the protocols and the amount of people in general. For the first time I had more people in one day than I have had at one time...ever... each with their own needs and directions. Having to think on my feet and switch gears all day long with about ten minutes in between each new client was challenging...and I am still doing it today.
I will be able to make a good living at this, (like real good according to the pace of yesterday and today so far...Gads!) and I hope the shear volume of humans in need does not wear me out. I am practicing being kind to myself during this transition and allowing myself to not take on too much of anything else, while I adjust.
It will be nice to not be so poor (money wise) anymore, and it will allow me to buy the art supplies that I need, without doing without groceries or whatnot at the same time...as well as making a real difference in my families day-to-day life.
For the past five years I have enjoyed being able to sell enough art to keep myself going and work as just an artist full time...but the past four months of not selling has made me take stock...look at what my family can endure...how bad will I let it get before I take a pro-active stance and act to change it? Not long lemme tell you, I am a woman of action. So, here I am working with other wonderful human beings to help increase the joy quotient in their lives, better their today's, improve on their futures and it fills me with inspiration.
I may have to scale back on the art for awhile, I may not get to create every single day...I may go through flopping on the floor with withdrawals...it could happen.
I am willing to do anything for my family...anything. So if it means that I have to take this job and work a full work week (40+) as well as doing art full time(hello not sleeping)...then so be it.
At least we will have what we need and I will work harder at the time I do have for art to make the minutes count. I can't take time away from my family to do what makes me feel good, but I can manage my time better. Well...I have been writing this post for two hours now...between clients...which leads me to think that blogging might suffer with this new job as well...I will have to make a list of time needed and wanted, then prioritize that list accordingly to get the most out of every day...aaaahhhh, such is life.
Have a great day all.
Imagine just for today...
living in your truth.
Brave friends...
I am warmly yours,
Heather
Buy some art
Save the artist

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

Good luck with your new job. I have decided that earning a living and making art are 2 seperate things for me. I found the art market soul sucking and in the end,I'm much happier doing it for joy.

I love this piece and keep the faith!

Heather said...

Thanks Lindsay...I will!

Cynthia said...

Good luck with your new endeavor, Heather! Are you working for yourself, or for someone else? I wish you all the success in the world. The art will still be there for you. I'm amazed at how many people work full time and still have the energy to create. There's something very powerful about that urge. It also sounds like your new job is close to your heart.

Heather said...

Cythia, thanks so much! Yes I am working for a large company that provides me with clients, but I am an independant contractor with them. So I telecomute from home and take my clients by phone. It is close to my heart, for sure. I want to be the change I would like to see in the world...one human at a time. So I get paid by the client...and so far I have been overwhelmed with the work load...so many people. It's challenging for sure. Anyway...thanks again!

JChevais said...

You can do it. Go. girl.

At least you don't have 2.5-3 hour commute every day...

That being said... GOTTA GO or I'll miss my train ;-)

jafabrit said...

well between your job, art and your family if you can squeeze in a pic and a word now and again on your blog that will be great.

your quote was fabulous.

The Lone Beader® said...

Your collage is cool! I love doing collage; it makes me feel like such a kid.. LOL!