Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Nothing external to you has any power over you ~ Emerson



BAD! Kitty Art Studio
(above) 'The Story'
20" X 16" - oils

Quote for the day:

***

I desire only to know the truth, and to live as well as I can...And, to the utmost of my power, I exhort all other men to do the same...I exhort you also to take part in the great combat, which is the combat of life, and greater than every other earthly conflict.

~Socrates (469 - 399 BC)

***

Nothing external has power over you...I find that intriguing. I most definitely have not conquered this force myself fully yet. I have been thinking too much of late...thinking so much that I have to stop myself and consider what I am thinking about. Editing the stinking thinking...so that I may proceed with my push forward. I want to see some results this year from my efforts...and as I have mentioned here before...I am a most impatient person. There is nothing to be done about it now...I just must press forward with my plans and goals and see where the road will take me.

I just hope that when I reach the end of the road....that there will room at the Inn for me and mine.

What the hell am I talking about today? Living well. Living with the feeling of true freedom from my past...and without fear for my future.


I want to accomplish something with my work. Resonance. I want to connect with other human beings in a simple..."HEY! I know you!" kind of way. I don't care really if my work is understood, just that it connects with people...and it does not have to be the message or point of exploration for myself...people can connect with my work in their own special way, with their own meaning and that makes me just as happy...and usually very curious.


I have been doing a lot of writing and thinking and organizing of my work to present myself to galleries and juried events. It's hard to make myself write the check for the juried events...because my back brain says..."You are paying someone to most likely reject you!" I know this...it's the fact that has kept me from doing it on a large scale at all. The gallery thing I have gotten used to...rejection is my middle name. It's not like I am special or anything...tons of great and wonderful artists get rejected every single day. It's the way it works. I don't fear or avoid rejection...not anymore. So, I write the checks, I mail the slides, I type out the artist statement. I just keep doing it, and something will stick at some point. I trust my inner vision. I trust myself to continue to push myself. Courage is being afraid...and then doing something anyway. I got courage...the personal power to not let it get to me...that's what I am working on.

Nothing external can affect me.

OK, I can deal with that.

So...I have another busy ass day...and a work that needs to be finished on the easel. I also have ready two juried event envelopes, and 5 gallery submission packages. Faith and works...that's what makes the world go round.

I better go get to it.

Onward HO!

Have a good one,

Heather




No comments: