Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I am as vigilant as a cat to steal cream. ~ Shakespear

BAD! Kitty Art Studio
Quotes and an update:
This sense of honor is the sense of right. It is the soul's instinctive love for the good, the true, the commendable, and its instinctive scorn of the base, mean, and vile. There is a confusion between that false honor which cares only what another thinks or says, and the true personal honor which cares first for what we are. It is too true that many a man who would resent with a blow the epithet of "thief" or "liar" will lie and steal in secret apparently without a qualm of conscience. The true root of honor demands reality and hates shams. One should be taught to abhor and reject in his own heart everything which he would resent in an accusation made by another. He should learn not to tolerate in his own inner consciousness what he would fear or blush to have known to friends or foes. This is the sense of personal honor that dominates and molds character and that endures the heaviest stress of life.
~Edward O. Sisson
Source: The Essentials of Character, The Macmillan Company, 1915
***
Which is the woman, which the child?
The joyous laugh that opens doors,
steals sugared moments from the shelf?
Or the dreamer mixing metaphors
with tears to make a book of self
To read aloud in winter's rooms
When summer's sounds have ceased to bloom?
~Katie Louchheim
***
Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
~Howard Aiken
***
Hello all.
I have been buried alive in work, life and travel.
The weeks have flown by.
As a family we have been offered an opportunity recently, and as we ponder our course of action and our need/desire list, I see that life isn't ever going to be easy. Like Bruce Lee said, " Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength for a difficult one." I used to really play the pain game with these issues, these days I find that I respond to challenges with a quiet, panicky calmness.
Internally I seem to seethe and boil with the thought process...the talking to myself, my higher self about the situation at hand. I even run a low grade fever when I am processing...so that burning smell, that's just me over here thinking.
I find that these days, I am spending less time second guessing everything and everyone. Concentrating on what is right for me...then moving outward to the rest of the people in my life. Needing to know what my own feelings are well in advance of trying to then compromise an entire families needs against that inner truth.
Compromise is a total act of love.
While I think, chew and ponder this situation, this stage that I find myself in...the vault of memory gets opened to lend in the effort of uncovering truth, motivation, and resistance. The past is really so very un-useful to my needs right now. Rarely do I find myself rifling the files of past experience for answers, the answers are not in things I have done already...but lie in what will I do with what has been presented?
New work in the studio is showing my experimental side right now...and I am so easily influenced these days by the outside world.
I am having fun at the easel again. I am working on a new technique that looks promising, and just farting around with materials in general. I am working on a booking for another show in September-October 2007...I will announce that show when the details are all ironed out. I am still waiting for the results from my submission to a juried art event in November that looks really promising. That too will be announced when I get the information if I made through the process or not. Fingers crossed.
I was accepted/joined the Sketchbook Project and will soon begin that huge undertaking for a really fun large scale event. I am looking forward to opening my new sketchbook and diving into the topic of fear. When all 500 books are displayed it should be quiet powerful in it's statements.
Fun right?
I may be prone to bouts of morbidity right now,
so...let's just enjoy it shall we?
I hope you all are well and good in your lives.
I leave you today with this thought that was a recent topic on Zaadz:
If you had an extra hour today, how would you spend it?
I would paint uninterrupted while listening to my favorite music up really loud, drinking a Bloody Mary and dancing...yeah baby...don't forget the dancing.
Yours today
Raw & Radiant,
Heather

2 comments:

PennyBlue said...

I'm with ya on the extra hour...sounds good to me! Oh and count me in for one of those bloody marys too! lol

Cynthia said...

First and foremost - Yay! You've resurfaced!!!

Congratulations on being accepted for the sketchbook project!

If I had an extra hour, I would take a nap...sounds counterproductive, but I would awake refreshed and ready to create!