Friday, August 22, 2008

Daily Art- New Work- Fear Not


Close up the words read: I am not afraid, I was born for this.
Full painting
‘Fear Not’
18″ x 24″ x 2″ (thick)
Oils
To see more of this work please Click HERE (this link will become active as soon as the web page is completed)
***
Here is the quote that inspired the work:
“When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.”

~Audre Lorde
***
‘Fear not’ started after I read this quote, and while not thinking about anything in particular, I sketched this lovely queen. She is ready for battle with her crown of spikes, and over her head are the last words she spoke to herself and the people in her charge before commencing to the good fight. “I am not afraid, I was born for this.” What is she fighting? Why is she wearing this strange crown of silver? Is she marshaling her forces for battle or is she fighting unknown forces within herself? I guess that will be left up to the person who wants to live with her. She had a face in the original drawing, but as we added the oil color ( I say we because I felt her come to life as the color went on the canvas, she worked with me and together we completed this work) as I continued to lay in the background and the color, I sensed she was another painting in my people without a face works. I like the facelessness of these paintings, they allow the people in them to be and become whomever and whatever is needed or seen by the viewer. They allow a resting point in the work for the eye. They allow the symbolism to come to the forefront. I see the attitude and full expression of each person I paint in the tilt of the chin. I want to leave no other trace of myself, except for the exceptional quality of that one line, the chin, to tell you everything about what is going on inside each of their worlds. I will continue to paint in this fashion; the faceless people, because I am compelled to learn why and what is behind basic human nature. I feel that the facelessness of these works allows them to be anything and everything for everyone. They are not ambiguous; they are full of expression and stories to tell. They do not envoke fear, they instead speak to what is common in all humans, under the skin, under the upbringing or nationality, our pasts and our fears. They represent the best of being a human being, that under it all and because of it all; we are one, we are human, and that one small fact could unite the globe in love not fear and war. I guess they are my deepest wish for every human being alive and yet to be born, that we all be free to become what we are meant to be. And that what we become will be valued not shunned, that we are all important so our education as a valuable soul would be the most important element to our growth; that the pretty and the rich, the haves and the have nots will cease to exist. Of course this is all pure fantasy in this reality, but if no one is willing to dream the dream anymore, I welcome the task. I will dream the dream, and I will speak of it often. Freedom for all human kind is my mantra. It is my cause. I will stand on the battlefield, I will wear the crown, I will speak of love, truth, valor, honor and beauty until the day that I pass from this earth. Because of one simple fact; I am not afraid, I was born for this.
***
I finished this work just before leaving for a vacation in the woods by the green lake. I spent the entire vacation thinking and not creating anything at all. I spent the entire vacation laughing, eating, swimming, taking pictures, playing with my family, and enjoying being alive. I come back to this world feeling lighter and ready to get back to work on my life’s mission. I left my stress and fear in the branches of the living oak trees. I tossed my weariness to the bluegills that swam at the lakes edge. I brought back the serenity of green water so warm and clear and yet so cold and dark that you will never see the bottom. I brought back birdsong, insect melodies, and cool breezes off the lake on the hottest of summer days. I brought back myself, the part of me that wans to run from the stress of trying to make it in this world. I came back with a real sense of what “making it” means, looks like and feels to me. I am back inside my skin, comfortable and happy. I spent a little more than a week praying in my church, my church being the temple of Mother Nature. I feel better, a little more relaxed (because I can never really fully relax) and more fearless than ever.
Bring it Universe, I am ready for the next step, wherever that may take me.
***
I hope everyone has been well and good in my absence.
Have a great day one and all.
Heather
http://www.badkittyartstudio.com
buy some art today from a living artist

PS> I have started new art auctions! Check them out at Ebay and at Overstock

No comments: